Wednesday 30 April 2014

5 Natural Hairstyles for the Office

One of the challenges a natural will face on their journey is adapting your hairstyle for the office. I often feel my hair ambition is to wear it free and unrestricted. By this I mean twist outs, braid outs, wash and go styles etc. However on a Sunday night I find I have to give some thought to the work appropriate, professional look. 

A big, bouncy, curly Afro is beautiful and will win you some compliments from the trendy corner of the office, but in most offices, it probably won't go down so well with your boss. Just as you will have a 'work wardrobe', as naturals we really ought to have a selection of professional hair styles appropriate for the office. Most of the styles I've chosen here happen to be protective too, which is an added bonus! Here are 5 of my current favourite corporate styles.



I love this look, mostly because I really like a hairstyle with height at the front. Get your parting neat and clean and have your gel and bobby pins handy.


This style will get you through the week quite nicely. A little complicated for my limited skill set so it would mean a trip to the hair dressers for me, but well worth it as it's neat, tidy and protective. The loose twists at the top can be restyled in a different way. You could also add extensions to accentuate the volume and /or height at the front, giving you more styling options.


This is a great style that will transcend easily from day to night. Tone down the make up and wear with more subtle earrings for the office.



I like the loose but tidy twist at the front on this style.


Yes a TWA can be worn in a professional environment. Tame those edges, add some texture and grab your laptop!


What do you think of these styles? Which ones would you wear for work?

No comments:

Post a Comment